A traditional Suffolk farmhouse in the heart of Thorpeness, overlooking its stunning heathland golf course. Dating back to the 16th century, the House is one of the oldest buildings in the village. Beautifully restored and refurbished in 2014, it now provides outstanding accommodation for up to thirteen people. Situated down a quiet private road overlooking Thorpeness Golf Course, the property is just a minute's walk from the sea.
ALDEBURGH 1.5 miles (2 km), ORFORD 11 miles (17 km), WOODBRIDGE 18 miles (29 km), SOUTHWOLD 19 miles (30.5 km)
Alexander House, a luxury Suffolk property, enjoys the best of both worlds. In the heart of Thorpeness, an Arts and Crafts designed seaside village close to Aldeburgh on the Suffolk Heritage coast, Alexander House is located at the end of a little private lane. The property is in a great position for delightful countryside views and enjoys easy access to miles of heathland and clifftop paths, yet is only a minute's stroll from the sea and all of Thorpeness' wonderful amenities.
The Property: A detached farmhouse, now completely updated and reconfigured to create a really spacious holiday house for an extended family or a group of friends. Downstairs there is a twin bedroom with adjacent shower room, whilst upstairs there is a spacious family bathroom, a large master bedroom with super king bed and en suite bathroom. Upstairs also boasts a delightful children's or young adults bedroom (including a set of full sized bunk beds and a single bed with en suite bathroom), a twin bedroom, and two double bedrooms to complete the first floor accommodation.
Downstairs, Alexander House has been transformed to create a large open plan living area with a state of the art kitchen, dining area and a spacious sitting room on one side of the house whilst the ground floor bedroom and bathroom, a small study and a further TV sitting room occupy the other side of the house.
Around the Property: Situated at the end of a private road, Alexander House has a drive with parking for several cars. The property is surrounded by garden, largely laid to lawn, and the house looks out over Thorpeness's heathland golf course. Just a few minutes walk from the beach and the centre of the village, once there you will rarely need to use a car.
In the centre of the village is the Meare, a wildlife rich lake, with rowing boats and punts for hire. Thorpeness also has a country club with tennis courts, golf course, attractive pub and an excellent village shop and new restaurant, The Thorpeness Brasserie & Emporium.
Set amongst the Suffolk coastal heathland, the golf course is pretty well on the door step of Alexander House. It offers a tough challenge for all levels of player. Designed by James Braid in 1922, this Suffolk golf course winds through silver birch, pine trees, gorse and heather and was described by the Sunday Telegraph Golfing Guide as "Reminiscent of the inland glories of Sunningdale and Woodhall Spa".
The original Aldeburgh Golf Club course was designed in 1884 by John Thompson from Royal Wimbledon and Open champion Willie Fernie from Felixstowe, later modified by J.H. Taylor and Willie Park Junior. Taylor's bunkers are visible today, recognisable by their sweeping banks which curve both vertically and horizontally. The new heathland course was officially opened in 1908 and has hardly changed since. There are some long holes to tempt the big hitter but plenty of holes that require careful attention. There is also a smaller nine-hole course.
Just a short walk along a seaside footpath will take you to Aldeburgh, home of the Aldeburgh Festival and the Freud Summer Theatre, where there are several excellent restaurants, pubs and lovely shops, as well as a fascinating museum, boating lake, sailing and yacht club. RSPB Minsmere, Dunwich and Southwold are all within a short drive.
- Sleeps 13
- 6 Bedrooms
- 4 Bathrooms
- Sorry, no pets allowed
- WiFi available
- Friday changeover
- Open fire/woodburner
- Bed linen provided
- Towels provided
- Washing machine
- No smoking
- Detached building
- Nearest shop 0.1 mile
- Nearest pub 0.1 mile
- 0.1 mile from the coast
- Ground floor bathroom
- Ground floor bedroom
- From the entrance hall double doors open into a spacious open plan living space. A dining area with table to accommodate 12 and a beautiful kitchen with central island, AGA cooking range and a double door American-style fridge freezer and a dishwasher. There is a wonderful new family sitting room with sofas, armchairs, coffee tables and is equipped with TV (SKY package including SKY sport) video, DVD player, games, books. Views over the front garden towards Thorpeness' heathland.
- A door leads from the kitchen to the larder cupboard, boiler room and ground floor cloakroom with w.c. and wash basin
- There is a large utility room with washing machine, butler sink, boot rack and further storage. A door leads to the garden. Please note that the key in the key safe opens this door, The front door key will be found in the front door on the inside.
- A door to the right from the front hall leads into the Snug room where there are sofas and a woodburner and TV with SKY package including sports.
- From the Snug room a hallway leads through to a small study with desk and chair for anyone who has to work whilst on holiday
- At the end of this hallway is the ground floor twin bedroom which has its own separate shower room with shower, wash basin and w.c.
- Bedroom 1 The children's room has full sized bunk beds and a single bed (sleeps 3) There are views over the fields. There is an en suite shower room with shower, w.c. and wash basin
- Bedroom 2 is a double room has King size bed, bedside tables and light, a fitted cupboard with shelves, vanity basin, TV , DAB radio and views over the fields
- Bedroom 3 A double bedroom with double bed, bedside table and light, chair, and a Victorian Fireplace.
- Bedroom 4 The Master bedroom has a super king bed, bedside tables and lamps, wardrobe and chest of drawers, easy chair and TV with Freeview. There is an en suite bathroom with bath and overhead shower, wash basin and w.c., heated towel rail.
- Bedroom 5 is a Twin bedroom with full size single beds, bedside table and lamps, a fitted cupboard, wash basin and views over the fields.
- The large family bathroom has a bath, separate shower, wash basin and w.c, heated towel rail
- There is a large private garden, mostly laid to lawn, surrounding the house with an area of decking with garden furniture and a charcoal barbecue
- There is parking for up to three cars in the drive and further parking in the private lane outside
- In consideration of other visitors, please do not smoke in the property
- Bed linen and towels are provided, but please bring beach towels
- Oil central heating and lighting etc. are provided
- A Good Housekeeping deposit of £250 is required with the full or final payment. This deposit is refundable as long as booking conditions are met
- To arrange a fridge fill prior to your arrival please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- Alexander House is popular with families with young children and toddlers but please note it is not possible to put a stairgate across the stairs due to their shape. Cots and high chairs are not provided
- Wi-fi available to link up to your laptop
- Looking for a special dinner, a relaxing lunch, a vintage high tea or simply a series of wonderful home made meals delivered to your door. See the Catering Options available at your holiday home. Catering arrangements should be made directly with the caterers.
- Wi-fi service is provided. Internet reception can be patchy and the connection provided should NOT be relied on for work use and is unsuitable for games or downloading of films. Excessive use of the internet will be charged at cost
- The Dolphin Inn - tel. 01728 454994. Please note some rural pubs have closed down in recent months with little or no notice - so please do check the status if this is a criteria for your choice of property
- There is a BBQ available for your use, please provide your own charcoal.
|Band||Date Range||7 night price *|
|A||21st April 2017 - 4th May 2017||£2,505.00|
|B||5th May 2017 - 6th July 2017||£2,862.00|
|C||7th July 2017 - 31st August 2017||£3,363.00|
|B||1st September 2017 - 28th September 2017||£2,862.00|
|A||29th September 2017 - 19th October 2017||£2,505.00|
|B||20th October 2017 - 26th October 2017||£2,862.00|
|A||27th October 2017 - 21st December 2017||£2,505.00|
|C||22nd December 2017 - 24th December 2017||£3,363.00|
* Please note: guide prices are based on the current year's prices and do not include optional items such as pet fees.