A traditional cottage in the centre of the village close to the castle, village shops, cafe, two excellent restaurants and two fine Adnams pubs. Moat Cottage ticks all the boxes for anyone looking for a really comfortable self catering option. Contemporary chic sits comfortably with pretty antiques and delightful, understated reminders of the cottage's coastal location - a drift wood wine rack and mirror surround. Old postcards of Orford and a view of the castle remind us of the history and interest of the cottage and of Orford itself. Now the Old Bakery at the end of the patio has been beautifully converted to provide another double bed/sitting room (double sofa bed) with en-suite shower room, thus making the cottage suitable for two families of 4 in high season. At other times it gives holidaymakers the option to spread themselves and of course make use of the second bathroom. Shop: 5 minute walk, Pub: 5 minute walk.
Kitchen: superbly designed and includes a free standing antique dresser, as well as a good selection of fitted cupboards. Equipped with microwave, electric oven and hob, dishwasher.
Dining Room: with original brick floor, electric log effect stove, large american style fridge with freezer compartment, cupboard and large dining table with cushioned bench seats and 3 chairs (seats 8 comfortably).
Sitting Room: with occasional tables, two sofas, chair, bookcase and corner cupboard with flat screen TV, DVD, wifi and iPod dock.
Family Bathroom: with sit up bath and overhead shower, wash basin, loo and heated towel rail.
Bedroom 1: Double bed, bedside tables and lamps, a chest of drawers, hanging hooks, washbasin Ensuite cloakroom with w.c.
Bedroom 2: built in full sized bunks with storage underneath and a chair.
Bedroom 3: twin bedroom with bedside table and lamps, chair, linen basket, hanging cupboard and easy chair
Bedroom 4: Bed / sitting room (sofa converts to double bed) with flat screen TV and Ensuite shower room with wash basin and w.c. There is a washing machine.
Garden: Enclosed terrace with furniture.
Heating: Gas central heating.
Notes: WiFi, bed linen and towels provided.
Orford is an attractive small town, dominated by the remains of a 12th Century castle keep - you may like to climb to the top to enjoy the panoramic views over the town and marshes. It is also famous for Orford Ness National Nature Reserve and Havergate Island, both a delight for ornithologists and nature lovers. Sailing and boat trips are available on the River Ore, with country walks in Rendlesham Forest. It is only nine miles from the beach at Aldeburgh, with the historic towns of Framlingham and Woodbridge and the world-famous Snape Maltings Concert Hall also within easy reach.
- Sleeps 8
- 4 Bedrooms
- 2 Bathrooms
- Sorry, no pets allowed
- WiFi available
- Parking unavailable
- Friday changeover
- Bed linen provided
- Towels provided
- Travel cot
- Washing machine
- No smoking
- Enclosed garden
- Nearest shop 0.1 mile
- Nearest pub 0.1 mile
- 0.1 mile from the coast
- Ground floor bathroom
- Ground floor bedroom
- The white wooden gate (there are two steps) leads to the patio where there are several elegant pot plants and a large garden table and chairs
- Two steps lead through the back door directly into the tiled kitchen, which has been superbly designed and includes a free standing antique dresser, as well as a good selection of fitted cupboards. Equipped with microwave, electric oven and hob, dishwasher.
- To the left of the kitchen is the bathroom with sit up bath and overhead shower, wash basin, loo and heated towel rail
- There is a spacious dining room with original brick floor, electric log effect stove, large american style fridge with freezer compartment, cupboard and large dining table with cushioned bench seats and 3 chairs (seats 8 comfortably)
- The sitting room is cosy and carpetted and is another good sized room with occasional tables, two sofas, chair, bookcase and corner cupboard with flat screen TV, DVD, wifi and iPod dock
- The cottage has a straight but steep staircase with one handrail leading to the first floor
- The master bedroom is light and airy with two large windows. It has bedside tables and lamps, a chest of drawers, hanging hooks, washbasin and a door to the en-suite loo, where there is a cupboard storing the hot water cylinder
- The bunk room has two porthole windows to the staircase and built in full sized bunks with storage underneath and a chair.
- The twin bedroom has a bedside table and lamps, chair, linen basket, hanging cupboard and easy chair
- The owners provide travel cot, high chair and baby bath for the convenience of those with babies
- The old bakery (situated on the far side of the patio) has been recently converted into a further bed / sitting room (sofa converts to double bed) with flat screen TV and en-suite shower room with wash basin and w.c. There is a washing machine.
- Bed linen and towels and central heating are provided. If using the travel cot please provide your own bed linen for it.
- Bikes can be stored on the patio. Parking is on the road opposite the cottage
- In consideration of other visitors please do not smoke in the cottage
- A high speed wi-fi service is provided.
- The Kings Head - tel. 01394 450271
- The Jolly Sailor - tel. 01394 450243. Please note some rural pubs have closed down in recent months with little or no notice - so please do check the status if this is a criteria for your choice of property
We had a great time at the cottage, it's such a lovely place, beautifully furnished, and in a great location for our kids -- there was a lot to do nearby -- and we were so lucky with the weather. The children LOVED the bunk bed room with the portholes!Mrs A, Colchester - 8th July 2015
We enjoyed our stay at Moat Cottage. We also really enjoyed Orford; the pubs, walks, Pump House Bakery and carols at the Church.Ms Jane Butterfield
We've hand-picked a selection of Holiday Extras from trusted partners to make your holiday extra special. When you make your booking, you'll see all the Extras on offer at your chosen property and be able to add them to your holiday. Booking them in advance gives you more time to relax when you arrive, and remember - many of these offers are exclusive so you won’t find them anywhere else.
Cretingham Golf Club Unlimited Golf Packages - Cretingham Golf Club
We are delighted to be able to bring you this exclusive offer from one of the county’s most picturesque golf courses. The 18-hole parkland course is...
Virgin Wines 12 Bottle Classic Wine Selection
This classic case oozes class and is perfect to give you various flavours from across the globe! Enjoy 2 bottles of each wine to encourage sharing or indulgence...
- Normal price
Virgin Wines 12 Bottle Luxury Wine Selection
This 12 bottle case is packed full of wines to blow you away with flavours and complexities all round – a case guaranteed to impress all who get the pleas...
- Normal price
Spicers of Hythe Ltd 20% discount on Hampers of Distinction
A hamper of distinction from Spicers of Hythe adds a little luxury to any occasion. We offer 20% off a beautifully presented hamper of gourmet delights.
Dragonfly Tea 20% off Dragonfly Tea
There’s nothing better than relaxing with a delicious cup of tea on your holiday, so we’re offering you 20% off Dragonfly Tea’s wonderful range.
Virgin Wines 6 Bottle Celebratory Wine Selection
A true Prosecco lovers case! No excuse is needed for this beautiful selection (so don’t let others tell you any different!). Start with the wonderful flor...
- Normal price
Virgin Wines 6 Bottle Classic Wine Selection
This 6 bottle classic case is perfect for those wanting to try something of everything – carefully selected to incorporate crowd pleasers from across the ...
- Normal price
Europcar Car Hire
Europcar, our preferred car hire partner, are offering you great quality UK car hire at affordable prices. With our dedicated offer you will save up to 20%.
Dineindulge Dineindulge - private dining service
Enjoy private dining in the comfort of your holiday property. Dineindulge offer a personal chef service with restaurant quality cuisine from only £25 per perso...
Discover Newmarket Discover Newmarket Tours
Once the sporting playground of royalty, the historic home of horseracing celebrates a heritage dating back over 350 years. The area has loads to offer with Dis...