Special Offers: 15% discount available on all bookings at Castle House, Orford from 3 - 21 April. Book on line or call 01394 389189 to redeem.
This Big House Holiday Property: This delightful Edwardian property was built in 1905 to provide accommodation for the Dowager from Sudbourne Hall; as such the house has large and comfortable reception rooms, as well as substantial kitchens for all your entertaining requirements.
With sumptuous bedrooms, spacious bathrooms and large and elegant reception rooms, Castle House has been updated to create absolute comfort and privacy for its holiday guests. The house faces south-west with a glazed wooden balcony of over 20 ft in length running between the two bays of the principal bedrooms where guests can relax in the afternoon sun looking out over Orford's magnificent castle, watching the yachts on the river and the ships on the sea.
In the very centre of Orford the house largely goes unnoticed, surrounded by a high brick wall with elegant broad gates. After World War II the house was divided into two distinct properties - the second being Wing Cottage. The two properties can to be rented for a single party of 14 plus guests.
The Grounds: A large and very private garden (around 2 acres) created over many years and containing some fine planting is enclosed by an old red brick wall and handmade Brampton Willow Fence.
Castle House must have some of the finest views of any of Orford's many lovely village houses. From the house you can see the estuary and the sea, and from the majority of bedrooms, receptions rooms and garden there are views of Orford Castle. There is a terrace with table and chairs and parasol, a large lawned area with climbing frame, swing slide and ropes. The garden is ideal for children's cricket or a game of badminton or croquet, with a private drive for 4 or more cars. Beyond the formal garden is a wooded area, perfect for slightly older children to explore and beyond this the wall separating Castle House from Orford Castle. Entirely fenced, the garden is great for children who want to play outside.
Sleeps 10: In 5 bedrooms, 4 of which contain 2 zip and link singles which can be used as super king beds, the other with double - do remember to state which you prefer before your holiday. You can also book Castle House and Wing Cottage for parties of 14 (Wing Cottage has two double bedrooms, one with king sized double bed and en suite bathroom, the other with zip and link singles - the family bathroom is next door).
This property is ideal for: With one family bathroom, and three en suites as well as a separate cloakroom upstairs and down, Castle House would work equally well for five couples, an extended family or a group of friends who want to make the most of the fantastic facilities of Orford (see Eating Out). Youngsters and babies are very welcome and with 2 cots, 2 high chairs, baby changing mat, baby bath, bottle steriliser, liquidiser, safety bedsides for a single bed and stair gate all provided - parents with toddlers or babies will be able to pack the car with ease! Please do tell us what baby equipment is required at time of booking. Do bring own bedding for the cots.
Minimum hire: Three nights; except in high season when it is a week. Friday changeover in High Season.
Self-catering eating and drinking: Grocery deliveries are available and there is a great selection of catering options for your stay at Castle House. Pinney's of Orford have grown oysters at Butley Creek since the 1950s and their smoke house supplies mouth-watering freshly smoked fish every day, whilst Brinkleys fresh fish shed by Orford quay is the place to buy freshly caught fish - great on the bbq!
There is Orford General Stores stocking all the essentials and more - the staff are friendly and really helpful, just what you need on holiday. The smell of fresh-baked bread drifting on the breeze from just across the road will surely lead you to the excellent Pump Street Bakery, purveyors of fantastic artisan bread, made by hand using traditional methods and natural ingredients.
Entertainment: The Property includes TV and DVD player, iPod dock, CD player/radio, DVDs. For lovers of vinyl there is a full stereo system and somewhere in the region of 500 long playing records to enjoy (predominantly classical music). An excellent choice of board games, chess and cards are there for you to enjoy as well as an eclectic library of books. Outside there are skittles and there is a lovely children's playground, tennis courts and football pitch just yards down the road.
Eating out:The Butley Orford Oysterage in Orford's pretty Market Hil, was opened by the Pinney family forty years ago and remains a family business. In a relaxed bistro atmosphere, they serve fish and seafood caught daily from their boats and smoked fish from their smokehouse in Butley Creek.
The Crown & Castle, Orford - Co-owned by broadcaster and presenter, Ruth Watson, the Crown and Castle has an excellent lively restaurant which has 2 AA rosettes and a Michelin bib gourmand in recognition of its excellent, locally sourced food.
The Jolly Sailor - Open for breakfast, lunch and dinner offering local, freshly cooked produce. It has a garden overlooking the marshes and the estuary, with climbing frame etc so is just the ticket if you want to take the children out for a meal - the fish and chips are great!
The Kings Head - This historic 13th Century pub combines all the atmosphere of a traditional inn with great real ales, classic pub lunch favourites and a more traditional evening menu.
For more information on the local area, please see our online guide, Visit Orford.
- Sleeps 10
- 6 Bedrooms
- 4 Bathrooms
- Sorry, no pets allowed
- WiFi available
- Friday changeover
- Open fire/woodburner
- Bed linen provided
- Towels provided
- Travel cot
- External balcony
- Washing machine
- Tumble dryer
- No smoking
- Nearest shop 0.1 mile
- Nearest pub 0.1 mile
- 0.1 mile from the coast
- Ground floor bathroom
- Ground floor bedroom
|Band||Date Range||7 night price *|
|A||21st April 2017 - 4th May 2017||£2,085.00|
|B||5th May 2017 - 25th May 2017||£2,379.00|
|C||26th May 2017 - 1st June 2017||£3,030.00|
|B||2nd June 2017 - 6th July 2017||£2,379.00|
|C||7th July 2017 - 31st August 2017||£3,030.00|
|B||1st September 2017 - 28th September 2017||£2,379.00|
|A||29th September 2017 - 19th October 2017||£2,085.00|
|B||20th October 2017 - 26th October 2017||£2,379.00|
|A||27th October 2017 - 21st December 2017||£2,085.00|
|D||22nd December 2017 - 24th December 2017||£3,330.00|
* Please note: guide prices are based on the current year's prices and do not include optional items such as pet fees.
The Ground Floor
- The front door opens into a large tiled lobby with coat hooks and plenty of space for boots and umbrellas
- Double doors open from the lobby into the hall, which includes a large log burning stove, table and easy chair
- To the left is a study with desk and chair and easy chair and further coat hooks - spacious, there is room here for games and toys, pushchairs etc
- Beyond the study is the ground floor cloakroom with w.c., wash basin and heated towel rail
- A door leads from the hall to the family dining room which includes fitted cupboards with drinks fridge, a 4-oven AGA, oak dresser and refectory table and chairs seating up to 14 people. The family room is divided from the kitchen by a large breakfast bar with stools.
- The kitchen includes fitted cupboards, sink, large electric range cooker (for anyone not familiar with AGAs) fridge, freezer, dishwasher, microwave, kettle, toaster, breadmaker, electric food processor etc. A hatch leads from the kitchen to the utility / laundry room
- The utility / laundry room includes a second dishwasher (easily accessible via a hatch from the kitchen), a second fridge, second freezer, washing machine, tumble dryer, drying rack and a sink. Once again the room is fully fitted.
- Doors lead from the long inner hall to the sitting room which is divided into two relaxing seating areas and includes an open fire, sofas and chairs, sideboard, occasional tables, curved 4K Curved 4K HD Smart TV, with Freeview HD, Built-In Wi-Fi and Intelligent Navigation. For those who prefer the wonders of the past there is a good old fashioned stereo deck and large selection of LPs. Double doors open into the formal dining room. A further door leads from the sitting room to the terrace beyond.
- Double doors give access from the sitting room to the dining room which includes a large dining table and chairs, side board and occasional tables as well as display cabinets. A door leads from the dining room to the terrace. A further door leads back to the hall.
- A door leads from the end of the hall to a small lobby from which there is a door to the garden. There is one step here.
- The ground floor bedroom is situated at the end of the hall well away from the kitchens and sitting room. A former library, this bedroom has zip and link single beds (can be used as a super king double), bedside tables and lamps, chest of drawers, wall mounted hooks and full length mirror. The room has a bay window overlooking the garden where there are book shelves and books, a sofa and arm chair, coffee table. A wide door opens into the en suite. Ideal for a couple wanting some privacy from the rest of the family, it would also work well for someone with some mobility issues.
- There is a large gallery style landing with table, chairs and occasional tables
- Bedroom 1 A large bedroom with zip and link single beds (which can be made up as a super king double) bedside tables and lamps, large fitted wardrobe, chest of drawers, table and two arm chairs
- A door leads from bedroom 1 to an anti room with door to the landing at one end and to the balcony at the other. Furnished as a small sitting room this room is also ideal for a family with a young child or baby who might like to be close to his / her parents yet in a separate room. There is a full sized single bed with loads of cushions, tall boy and a large cupboard with tea and coffee making facilities.
- The roofed balcony has wonderful views of Orford Castle and out across the river to the sea. There is a cafe style table and chairs - a great space for quiet reading or early evening drinks.
- To the other side of the landing is a cloakroom with w.c., heated towel rail and wash basin besides which is the family bathroom.
- The family bathroom includes a shower with both rain forest attachment and hand held shower, wash basin, w.c., bath and heated towel rails.
- A large bedroom with king sized double bed, bedside tables and lamps, two fitted wardrobes, table and chairs. Its en suite shower room has a large shower with both rain forest shower and hand held shower attachments, wash basin, w.c. and heated towel rail
- There is a lovely twin bedroom (zip and link beds can be used as super king) with bedside table, wardrobe, bookshelf, chest of drawers, toys and games for youngsters. With views over the balcony to the garden and the castle youngsters can have hours of fun in an imaginary world of dungeons, knights and dragons.
- The master bedroom has zip and link single beds (which can be made up as a super king double) bedside tables and lamps, chest of drawers, dressing table and chair, hooks and hangers (there is further hanging space in the cupboard on the other side of the corridor), two arm chairs and coffee table, and a TV. There is a lovely feature bath with modesty screen from where you can look out on to the garden.
- The en suite bathroom includes a shower, wash basin, w.c., heated towel rail. There are blinds but you are not overlooked and the views of the river and sea are exceptional.
- Double gates open into the substantial gravel drive with parking for 4 or more cars
- There is a broad terrace below the 1st floor balcony with table and chairs, outside lighting and electrics for hot tub, BBQ
- A large lawn is surrounded by shrub beds, beyond which is a wooded area with the Castle beyond. A long brick wall and willow fencing surround the garden.
- A further gravelled area outside the backdoor leads back to the terrace and garden - no vehicular access
- Central heating throughout; there is a log burning stove in the hall and open fire in the sitting room. A basket of logs and scuttle of coal is provided for each. Additional logs and coal can be purchased from Friends Garage, Orford.
- Bed linen and towels are provided. Please bring your own beach towels. If using the travel cot please provide your own bed linen for it.
- Baby Friendly - two high chairs and two travel cots are available on request. Please note travel cot mattresses are thin so you might like to bring the baby's mattress as well as bedding for the cot. There are removable bed sides for a single bed, (waterproof bed protector available) baby alarm, changing mat and baby bath
- Looking for a special dinner, a relaxing lunch, a vintage high tea or simply a series of wonderful home made meals delivered to your door? See the Catering Options available at your holiday home. Catering arrangements should be made directly with the caterers.
- A hot tub can be hired for use at the property http://www.holidayhottubhire.co.uk/
- This property has Sammy's Seal of Approval for being a family friendly property. On your arrival you will find Sammy the Suffolk Seal, a toy for the children to take on adventures and a picture book, Sammy the Suffolk Seal, for youngsters (and parents / grandparents) to read during your stay - the perfect introduction to the wonders of this region and the places families can visit. If you would like your own copy or Sammy toy to take home with you, they can be purchased at the Suffolk Cottage Holidays shop on 152 High Street in Aldeburgh, IP15 5AQ. Or call Suffolk Cottage Holidays on 01394 389 189.
- There is a large library of books, a good selection of classic DVDs and LPs and a very good selection of board games as well as children's toys and books.
- Fibre optic broadband is now in place so the wi fi connection is much faster than it was. The package at Castle House includes BT Infinity, BT sports and films, catch up TV and TV on the go.
Lovely house, clean, very nicely decorated, fantastic layout, great views and relaxing seating in the garden.The Lowe Family - 29th July 2016
It was an ideal base. But if you just wanted to relax, it was a peaceful location.The Lowe Family - 28th July 2016
There were lots of nice touches. Also, the games room was great. There were plenty of rooms for the children to have a space of their own to play , which they loved!Marie K, Cambridge - 30th April 2016
I thought the location and accommodation were excellent. Children enjoyed the pool and the dog enjoyed the long walks. Luckily the weather was kind to us. Would love to visit again!Marie K, Cambridge - 30th April 2016