An outstanding Suffolk self-catering holiday home with lovely patio and gardens overlooking the countryside, just 2 miles from the coast at Orford. An indoor heated training pool and top of the range exercise bikes add to the year round appeal of Butley Barns. The accommodation has been created from two adjoining thatched barns, whilst further barns house the fitness suite and a games area. Butley Barn has been superbly refurbished for boutique holidays or corporate accommodation for 12 to 14.
ORFORD 2 miles (3km), SNAPE 5 miles (8km), ALDEBURGH 13 miles (20km), WOODBRIDGE 13 miles (20km), SOUTHWOLD 27 miles (43km), FRAMLINGHAM 14 miles (22km)
About the Property: Butley Barn is made up of two adjoining traditional, thatched Suffolk barns, their size suggesting that they were originally built to house the livestock and produce for a really large farm. Some years ago, Butley Barns was converted into a pottery and artist's studio. In 2011 the entire complex was purchased by its current owners who have completely refurbished the largest barns to create a superb property, with spacious and very private en-suite accommodation for up to 14 people.
There has been a real eye to detail and bathrooms are finished in limestone, their baths extra wide for additional comfort. The best features of the barn have been carefully renovated, retaining the vaulted ceilings, exposed beams and wide oak flooring planks. The old studio accommodates a pool table, painting easel and games.
Butley Barn can also be rented out to sleep up to 20 people in The Barns at Butley.
The Grounds: Down a meandering rural by-way, flanked by open fields and woodland copses, the grounds at Butley Barns are ideal for all ages.
To the front of Butley Barn is a gated driveway with parking for at least 6 cars. A further gate separates the cars from the garden, where there is further car parking available and large lawned areas with a west-facing patio.
Indoor Heated Training Pool and Gym: Subject to availability, Butley Barn has its very own fitness gym complex, including 4 top grade exercise bikes with all the gizmos; yoga mats, a training pool (8ft by 14 ft), showers and changing area. Please note the gym equipment is not suitable for children under 12, but youngsters love the "whirl pool" effects created by the currents in the training pool (children must be supervised at all times). A qualified trainer is on hand to introduce you to this amazing new facility and how to use the equipment; please request this service when making your booking.
Subject to availability, guests may use these facilities for an additional fee of £190 per 7 night booking or £130 per 3 night booking. Please request as an add on service when booking. The facilities can also be requested by guests staying at The Old Cafe at the same time, so it is only available on a first come, first served basis.
One of the smaller barns houses a selection of games including table tennis; there is lots of space for games and for toddlers to cycle, including a shared astro turf area large enough for badminton, volley ball or year round football. Please see The Barns at Butley for the fitness complex floorplan.
The Area: At the northern edge of Rendlesham Forest, a lovely area for woodland walks and mountain biking, Butley Barns are just a short walk from the village of Butley.
There are some splendid country walks here; most notably Staverton Thicks, which has a deer park and woods of oak and holly; the oldest trees date back more than 400 years. The area has a fascinating history.
Nearby Butley Priory, built in the 11th century, was for centuries the haunt of kings. Just a walk away are Butley Clumps, a fascinating avenue of beech trees planted in fours, with a pine tree at the centre of each clump - a quincunx.
Why not get active with the whole family and have a go at mountain biking? There are some great trails around to suit all abilities. Hire the high performance Trek Mountain Bikes and get exploring! Qualified guides can be arranged to lead your group, and lunches can be organised too. For information contact the Big House holidays team on 01394 389188.
Butley has long been renowned for its oysters, and the oyster beds have recently been revived. You can buy oysters, in season, in Orford at the Butley Orford Oysterage.
Sleeps: 12 in 3 king sized double beds, 3 twin or super-king beds (please state preference at time of booking); the Granary bedroom has two single beds that can be made into a super-king or can be used as a children's dorm, with 2 additional child size beds (5' in length), available on request.
Minimum Hire: 3 nights, except in high season when it is a week.
Entertainment: Flat screen TV with Freeview, games room with pool table, books and a whole lot of garden to be enjoyed.
Packing tips: Binoculars, map, fishing rod, crabbing lines, bird book, and bikes - a great place for cycling.
- Sleeps 14
- 7 Bedrooms
- 7 Bathrooms
- 2 well-behaved dogs welcome
- WiFi available
- Friday changeover
- Bed linen provided
- Towels provided
- Travel cot
- Swimming pool
- Games room
- Washing machine
- Tumble dryer
- No smoking
- Nearest shop 0.2 mile
- Nearest pub 0.2 mile
- 4.8 miles from the coast
- Ground floor bathroom
- Ground floor bedroom
|Date Range||7 night price *|
|7 Jul 17 - 1 Sep 17||£3,426|
|1 Sep 17 - 29 Sep 17||£2,985|
|29 Sep 17 - 20 Oct 17||£2,613|
|20 Oct 17 - 27 Oct 17||£3,426|
|27 Oct 17 - 22 Dec 17||£2,613|
|22 Dec 17 - 6 Jan 18||£3,528|
|22 Dec 17 - 6 Jan 18||£3,528|
|6 Jan 18 - 9 Feb 18||£2,691|
|9 Feb 18 - 23 Feb 18||£2,713|
|23 Feb 18 - 23 Mar 18||£2,691|
|23 Mar 18 - 13 Apr 18||£2,957|
|13 Apr 18 - 25 May 18||£2,713|
|25 May 18 - 1 Jun 18||£3,529|
|1 Jun 18 - 13 Jul 18||£2,957|
|13 Jul 18 - 20 Jul 18||£3,075|
|20 Jul 18 - 7 Sep 18||£3,529|
|7 Sep 18 - 14 Sep 18||£3,075|
|14 Sep 18 - 21 Sep 18||£2,957|
|21 Sep 18 - 19 Oct 18||£2,713|
|19 Oct 18 - 2 Nov 18||£2,957|
|2 Nov 18 - 21 Dec 18||£2,691|
|21 Dec 18 - 28 Dec 18||£3,529|
|28 Dec 18 - 6 Jan 19||£3,634|
* Please note: The prices displayed are guide prices and do not include optional items such as pet charges.
- Double height glass doors open on to the hall - slate floor and vaulted ceiling above the galleried sitting room, ideal for grand dining. This is a really light room - there are double height glass doors at both sides of the hall where once the barn doors would have been. Coat hooks and plenty of space for outdoor boots below the stairs. The dining table can be used here or in the kitchen.
- A door from the hall leads to the utility room with washer / dryer, butler sink and pull down airer, hooks for outdoor wear, Ironing Board and iron , microwave and space for shoes and boots
- There is a large walk in larder with two fridge freezers and shelving for food storage. A Nespresso machine is available to guests.
- There are two ground floor bedrooms, each with en suite
- Bedroom 1 - A double bedroom with twin beds (These can be zipped together to create a Super King, by requesting at the time of booking), bedside tables and lamps, chest of drawers, French hooks and easy chair. Door to en suite shower room with large walk in shower, wash basin, w.c. and heated towel rail
- Bedroom 2 - A double bedroom with king sized double bed, bedside tables and lamps, chest of drawers, french hooks, easy chair. Door to ensuite shower room with large walk-in shower, wash basin, w.c. and heated towel rail
- A ground floor cloakroom with w.c. and washbasin
- The remainder of the ground floor is open plan offering maximum flexibility for a larger party, whether it be family or corporate. There is a dining area with large refectory table seating up to 14 people. The kitchen is fully fitted with Rangemaster cooker, large gas hob and 2 large ovens and grill. There are two dishwashers, fridge, toaster, microwave, coffee maker etc. Lots of cupboard space. The sitting room is separated from the kitchen by a breakfast bar.
- Sitting room has sofas and easy chairs, coffee tables and lamps
- A door from the sitting room leads into the old Granary, now converted into a second sitting room and suitable as quiet study or escape where children can play games or watch TV
- Wooden stairs lead to a really sunny galleried sitting area with Sofa and easy chairs a table and a bookcase with local interest books & games.
- Bedroom 3 - A double bedroom with twin beds (These can be zipped together to create a Super King, on request, by emailing: firstname.lastname@example.org, at the time of booking), bedside tables and lamps, chest of drawers, French hooks and easy chair. Door to en suite bathroom with bath and overhead shower, wash basin, w.c. and heated towel rail
- Bedroom 4 - A double bed with bedside tables and lamps, chest of drawers, french hooks, easy chair. Door to ensuite bathroom with bath and overhead shower, wash basin, w.c. and heated towel rail
- Bedroom 5 - A double bedroom with twin beds (these can be zipped together to create a Superking, on request) bedside tables and lamps, chest of drawers, french hooks, easy chair. Door to ensuite bathroom with bath and overhead shower, wash basin, w.c. and heated towel rail
- Bedroom 6 - A double bedroom with twin beds (These can be zipped together to create a Super King, on request, by emailing: email@example.com, at the time of booking), bedside tables and lamps, chest of drawers, French hooks and easy chair. Door to en suite bathroom with bath and overhead shower, wash basin, w.c. and heated towel rail
- There is a further bedroom in the Granary which can be reached via a low door from the bathroom in bedroom 3 or via a staircase from the Granary study / sitting room. The Granary bedroom is furnished with 2 single beds and 2 additional beds (5' in length), suitable for children up to 8yrs, are available on request by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. This room will be great for youngsters or to provide additional accommodation for singles on a corporate break. There is a small en suite shower room with w.c. and basin.
- A shingle drive leads down from the gate where there is parking for up to 6 cars. A further gate separates the main drive from the garden area (so that children can play safely) A further farm gate leads out to a farm track and this area can also be used for parking if bringing more than 6 vehicles.
- Gardens - there is a lovely garden to the back of Butley Barns with shrubs, herbs and cottage garden planting which leads through the sculpture garden, mainly laid to lawn. Further grassed areas are ideal for ball games. There is around half an acre of outside space overall.
- A separate barn has been converted to a state of the art gym with training bikes linked to the large flat screen TV, as well as an indoor heated training pool (children must be accompanied by an adult when using the pool). Guests may use these facilities for an additional fee of £150 per booking. Please request when booking. Please note, this is subject to availability on a 'first come, first served' basis if The Old Cafe is already booked, unless both parties are happy to share.
- Garden furniture includes outside table and chairs
- Please note, this is an agricultural area, and there is a working farm behind Butley Barns, so there may be farm traffic at certain times of the year.
- Central heating throughout, bed linen and towels are provided. Please bring your own swimming towels. If using the travelcot please provide your own bedding.
- Baby Friendly- two high chairs and two travel cots are available on request.
- Looking for a special dinner, a relaxing lunch, a vintage high tea or simply a series of wonderful home made meals delivered to your door? See the Catering Options available at your holiday home. Catering arrangements should be made directly with the caterers.
We have enjoyed our stay. The Lodge had everything we needed. The peace and quiet has been great and to see the barn owl on three occasions has been an added bonus. Thanks for being so helpful.Jane S, Suffolk - 4th December 2015
We have thoroughly enjoyed our week's stay in your beautiful lodge, in such an amazing setting. Many thanks to you both for making this such a relaxing break with the hospitality you have provided in every detail. We would love to return again.A previous customer - 6th October 2015
We have enjoyed our stay. The Lodge had everything we needed. The peace and quiet has been great and to see the barn owl on three occasions has been an added bonus. Thanks for being so helpful.Mr L, Hertford. - 24th August 2015
Very well designed property and interior decoration plus a peaceful and private location.Karen L, Surrey - 27th September 2014
Very well designed property and interior decoration plus a peaceful and private location.Ian B, Essex - 9th February 2014
We've had a wonderful four nights in this beautiful house and would love to come back. It's light and airy and perfect for 6 of us. We would highly recommend the property and supper at The Lighthouse. Thank you for our stay!Mr E, Oxon - 28th October 2013