On the edge of the hamlet of Butley close to the Suffolk coast, a group of old thatched barns has been transformed to create outstanding self-catering accommodation for up to 20 adults, with additional beds for small children and babies. The largest barn and the attached old granary accommodate 14, the neighbouring barn accommodates 6. Bedrooms are en suite, and there are several lovely sitting rooms in which to relax, as well as spacious dining accommodation and lovely gardens including a large patio area directly outside the largest barn. Orchards and grassed areas, an astro turf games area, games room, indoor heated training pool and state of the art gym are also available to guests.
ORFORD 4 miles (6km), SNAPE 5 miles (8km), ALDEBURGH 11 miles (18km), WOODBRIDGE 7 miles (12km), SOUTHWOLD 24 miles (38km), FRAMLINGHAM 13 miles (20km)
About this Suffolk Big House Holiday Property: This complex of traditional Suffolk farm barns has been completely refurbished to create stunning self-catering holiday accommodation for at least 20 guests, with space for several more children and babies in the main barns.
Originally The Barns at Butley would have housed livestock, threshing equipment and grain. Towards the end of the last century the barns were converted into artists and potters studios, a gallery and a small cafe for gallery visitors, passing walkers and cyclists. In 2011 the entire complex of buildings was purchased by its current owners and over the last three years the barns have been re-thatched and refurbished to create 2 lovely self-catering properties, a large gym and indoor training pool and a games area. Every room has its own bathroom or shower room, the majority having zip and link beds providing maximum comfort and flexibility. There are two good sized utility rooms and a separate laundry room.
Grounds: Just outside the tiny village of Butley down a rural by-way, flanked by farmland and woodland copses, the grounds at The Barns at Butley are ideal for all ages.
The grounds are separated from the road on one side and a track on the other by 5-bar gates; the two drives have areas of parking for 8 or more cars. The gardens are separated from the drives and parking areas by the buildings and a further gate.
The gardens are nicely planted to create colour throughout the year, with lawns, orchard trees with small seating area and a further paved west facing patio area for outside eating. The astro turf area is great for toddler play or a game of badminton or table tennis and the games room has a small pool table and some traditional board games just in case there is some rainy weather.
The Indoor Heated Training Pool and Gym: The Barns at Butley has its very own fitness gym complex, including 4 top grade exercise bikes with all the gizmos, yoga mats, a training pool (8ft by 14ft), showers and changing area. Please note the gym equipment is not suitable for children under 12, but youngsters love the "whirl pool" effects created by the currents in the training pool (children must be supervised at all times). The owner, who lives near by, will be happy to introduce you to this amazing new facility and show you how to use the equipment.
Subject to availability, guests may use these facilities for an additional fee of £270 per 7 night booking or £180 per 3 night booking. Please request when booking.
There is lots of space for games and for toddlers to cycle, including an astro turf area large enough for badminton or year round football.
The Area: At the northern edge of Rendlesham Forest, a lovely area for woodland walks and mountain biking, The Barns at Butley are just a minute or two's walk from the village of Butley.
There are some splendid country walks here; most notably Staverton Thicks, which has a deer park and woods of oak and holly; the oldest trees date back more than 400 years. The area has a fascinating history.
Nearby Butley Priory, built in the 11th century, was for centuries the haunt of kings. Just a walk away are Butley Clumps, a fascinating avenue of beech trees planted in fours, with a pine tree at the centre of each clump - a quincunx.
Why not get active with the whole family and have a go at mountain biking? There are some great trails around to suit all abilities. Hire the high performance Trek Mountain Bikes and get exploring! Qualified guides can be arranged to lead your group, and lunches can be organised too. For information contact the Big House holidays team on 01394 389188
Butley has long been renowned for its oysters, and the oyster beds have recently been revived. You can buy oysters, in season, in Orford at the Butley Orford Oysterage.
Sleeps: 20 in 3 king sized double beds, 5 twin or super-king beds (please state preference at time of booking) and 2 single bedded rooms; the Granary bedroom has two single beds that can be made into a super-king or can be used as a children's dorm, with 2 additional child size beds (5'in length), available on request. Please see the individual property webpages - Butley Barn and The Old Cafe - for the accommodation floorplans.
Minimum Hire 3 nights, except in high season when it is a week.
Self catering eating: Orford is just a couple of miles away, and offers all the amenities you need:
- Orford General Stores provides all the essentials, plus local produce and an excellent deli counter
- The Pump Street Bakery and cafe, specialising in delicious homemade breads, cakes and pastries. (Tip: The warm sausage rolls are just fabulous!)
- Pinney's of Orford have grown oysters at Butley Creek since the 1950s and their smoke house supplies mouth-watering freshly smoked fish every day.
- Richardsons Smoke House in Orford sells an array of delicious smoked foods including melt-in-the-mouth ham hock and smoked cheese.
- Brinkleys fresh fish shed is situated on the quay and is the place to buy freshly caught fish. Fantastic on the BBQ!
- The Riverside Tearoom offers a good cuppa, lunchtime food and a splendid view.
Eating and drinking out: The Froize, Chillesford has an excellent reputation for great dining and is child friendly. Just a mile down the road from The Barns at Butley we do advise that you book in advance especially if you are contemplating Sunday lunch or an evening meal at a popular time of year.
There are three good pubs/restaurants in Orford, all serving freshly cooked and locally sourced meals:
- The Jolly SailorFish straight from the North Sea, home-smoked hams, handmade sausages, freshly baked breads, and regional ales are but some of the tasty treats on offer.
- The Kings Head Serving classic pub lunch favourites and a more traditional evening menu, all subject to the chef's individual style.
- The Crown and Castle Hotel Owned by Channel 4's Ruth Watson, The Crown and Castle offers a fantastic lunchtime and evening menus. Time is devoted to sourcing local produce and creating varied menus which offer robustly flavoured but elegantly presented food.
Entertainment: Flat screen TV with Freeview, games room with pool table, books and a whole lot of garden to be enjoyed.
- Sleeps 20
- 11 Bedrooms
- 10 Bathrooms
- 2 well-behaved dogs welcome
- WiFi available
- Friday changeover
- Bed linen provided
- Towels provided
- Travel cot
- Swimming pool
- Games room
- Washing machine
- Tumble dryer
- No smoking
- Detached building
- Nearest shop 0.2 mile
- Nearest pub 0.2 mile
- 4.8 miles from the coast
- Ground floor bathroom
- Ground floor bedroom
|Band||Date Range||7 night price *|
|26th May 2017 - 1st September 2017||£4,518.00|
|1st September 2017 - 29th September 2017||£3,942.00|
|29th September 2017 - 20th October 2017||£3,450.00|
|20th October 2017 - 27th October 2017||£3,789.00|
|27th October 2017 - 22nd December 2017||£3,450.00|
|22nd December 2017 - 6th January 2018||£4,614.00|
* Please note: guide prices are based on the current year's prices and do not include optional items such as pet fees.
- On the ground floor, double height glass doors open on to the hall - with slate floor and vaulted ceiling above the galleried sitting room, ideal for grand dining. A really light room, there are double height glass doors at both sides of the hall where once the barn doors would have been. Coat hooks and plenty of space for outdoor boots below the stairs, there are sofas and easy chairs. The dining table can be used here or in the kitchen.
- From the hall, a door leads to the utility room with washer/dryer, butler sink and pull down airer, hooks for outdoor wear and space for shoes and boots
- There is a large walk in larder with fridge freezer and loads of shelving for food storage
- There are two ground floor bedrooms, each with en suite
- Bedroom 1 - A double bedroom with twin beds (can be zipped together to create a Super King; request at the time of booking), bedside tables and lamps, chest of drawers, French hooks and easy chair. Door to en suite shower room with large walk in shower, wash basin, w.c. and heated towel rail
- Bedroom 2 - A double bedroom with double bed, bedside tables and lamps, chest of drawers, french hooks, easy chair. Door to ensuite shower room with large walk-in shower, wash basin, w.c. and heated towel rail
- There is a ground floor cloakroom with w.c. and wash basin
- The remainder of the ground floor is open plan offering maximum flexibility for a larger party, whether it be family or corporate. There is a dining area with large refectory table seating up to 14 people. An extension to the dining table can be added to seat 20 if requested at time of booking. The kitchen is fully fitted with combi cooker, large gas hob and 2 large ovens and grill. There are two dishwashers, fridge, toaster, microwave, coffee maker etc. Lots of cupboard space. The sitting room is separated from the kitchen by a breakfast bar.
- The sitting room has sofas and easy chairs, coffee tables and lamps
- A door from the sitting room leads into the old Granary, now converted into a second sitting room and suitable as quiet study or escape where children can play games or watch TV
- Wooden stairs lead to a really sunny galleried sitting area with easy chairs and table and a bookcase with local interest books.
- Bedroom 3 - A double bedroom with twin beds (can be zipped together to create a Super King on request; email email@example.com at the time of booking), bedside tables and lamps, chest of drawers, French hooks and easy chair. Door to en suite bathroom with bath and overhead shower, wash basin, w.c. and heated towel rail
- Bedroom 4 - A double bedroom with twin beds (can be zipped together to create a Super King, on request at time of booking), bedside tables and lamps, chest of drawers, french hooks, easy chair. Door to ensuite bathroom with bath and overhead shower, wash basin, w.c. and heated towel rail
- Bedroom 5 - A double bedroom with double bed, bedside tables and lamps, chest of drawers, french hooks, easy chair. Door to ensuite bathroom with bath and overhead shower, wash basin, w.c. and heated towel rail
- Bedroom 6 - A double bedroom with twin beds (These can be zipped together to create a Super King, on request at the time of booking), bedside tables and lamps, chest of drawers, French hooks and easy chair. Door to en suite bathroom with bath and overhead shower, wash basin, w.c. and heated towel rail
- There is a further bedroom in the Granary, which can be reached via a low door from the bathroom to bedroom 5 or via a staircase from the Granary study/sitting room.
- The Granary bedroom is furnished with 2 single beds, and 2 additional beds (5' in length), suitable for children up to 8yrs, are available on request by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. This room will be great for youngsters or to provide additional accommodation for singles on a corporate break. There is a small en suite shower room with w.c. and basin.
- A shingle drive leads down from the gate where there is parking for up to 6 cars. A further gate separates the main drive from the garden area (so that children can play safely) A further farm gate leads out to a farm track and this area can also be used for parking if bringing more than 6 vehicles.
- Gardens - there is a lovely kitchen garden to the back of Butley Barns with shrubs, herbs and cottage garden planting which leads through the sculpture garden, mainly laid to lawn. Further grassed areas are ideal for ball games. There is around half an acre of outside space overall.
- Garden furniture includes outside table and chairs
- Please note, this is an agricultural area, and there is a working farm behind Butley Barns, so there may be farm traffic at certain times of the year.
- The back door leads into a utility area with units and a washing machine, beyond which is a wet room shower room with shower, wash basin and w.c
- A door from the utility rooms lead to the kitchen, which is part of the large open plan living area. There is slate flooring throughout and underfloor heating. Fully fitted the kitchen has a dishwasher, gas hob, electric oven, extractor hood, microwave, kettle, toaster, large fridge and freezer.
- There is a large dining table, seating up to 8 people from which there are views over the garden.
- The sitting room area includes a sofa, arm chairs, coffee table and large flat screen TV
- Bedroom 1 has wood flooring, a single bed bedside table and lamp, chest of drawers and french hooks
- Bedroom 2 has wood flooring, a single bed, bedside table and lamp, chest of drawers and french hooks
- A gently turning oak staircase leads to the First Floor.
- The Master Suite consists of a dressing room cum small sitting room with space for an extra single bed, cot or even two small children's beds, (suitable for children up to age 8 years), (available on request) chest of drawers and hanging space. A door from the dressing room leads to:
- The shower room with wet room shower, wash basin and w.c., heated towel rail
- The bedroom has two full sized single beds which zip and link to make a super king, bedside lights, chest of drawers and french hooks
- To the other side of the stairs is a bathroom with bath and overhead shower, wash basin, w.c. and heated towel rail.
- Beyond the bathroom is a large double bedroom with two full sized single beds which zip and link to make a super king, bedside lights, chest of drawers and french hooks
- A five bar gate leads to the garden where there is parking for two to three cars.
- To the front of the barn is the astro-turf play area, great for ball games, badminton and table tennis. Steps lead up to the main garden which is hedged with lawns, orchard trees and planting.
- There is garden furniture including a table and chairs for all the guests.
- A separate barn has been converted to a state of the art gym with training bikes linked to the large flat screen TV as well as an indoor heated training pool.
- Guests are welcome to use these facilities for an additional fee of £270 per booking. Please request by contacting us.
- Children must be accompanied by an adult when using the training pool.
- A further barn houses a pool table and a selection of games which guests are welcome to use.
- Central heating throughout, bed linen and towels are provided. Please bring your own swimming towels. If using the travel cot please provide your own bedding.
- Baby Friendly- two high chairs and two travel cots are available on request.
- Looking for a special dinner, a relaxing lunch, a vintage high tea or simply a series of wonderful home made meals delivered to your door? See the Catering Options available at your holiday home. Catering arrangements should be made directly with the caterers.
Just to say a huge thank you for allowing us to share your beautiful cottage for the last two weeks. It is a truly lovely cottage in a lovely village, in a lovely county. We have absolutely fallen in love with Suffolk and hope to come back again one day to continue our exploration. Hopefully we will be able to return to Priory Holme as it has provided us with the perfect base. We have enjoyed your beautiful garden - even had breakfast outside some mornings as the weather has been very kind to us. We have enjoyed feeding the fish ('just a little each day'!) and the birds. We spent ages watching a pheasant this morning! We did eat at 'The Bell' one evening and found the landlady/staff very friendly and helpful. The portions were certainly generous! We have also found lots of really excellent pubs throughout the area - helping to make our holiday even more enjoyable.Jan S, Essex - 22nd September 2015