A traditional red brick farmhouse surrounded by two acres of natural country garden with two wildlife ponds. The original farmhouse has evolved over time into a charming rustic home, perfect for families and friends looking for an authentic rural break in a homely cottage, complete with Aga.
DUNWICH 7 miles, THORPENESS 6.5 miles, ALDEBURGH 8 miles, WALBERSWICK 11 miles, SOUTHWOLD 13 miles, WOODBRIDGE 17 miles
About the Property: Available only for the summer months, Red House Farm (10) is a lovingly developed, period farmhouse perfect for a relaxing getaway. The cottage is packed full of character with its charming architectural features such as the low windows, varying ceiling height and long corridors. The bright and light sitting room sits in the original house, with views out to the gardens behind. The wood burning stove provides a focal point both here and in the formal dining room. The dining room is complete with an oval dining table. From here you can access the quaint country kitchen, complete with Aga and breakfast table.
The bedrooms are of a good size. The Master bedroom has the benefit of an en suite bathroom as well as a separate dressing room with wooden cot. The other first floor bedrooms share the large, well appointed family bathroom. For party members who may find stairs difficult, the ground floor king size bedroom is the ideal solution.
Available in the summer months is the garage annexe. Accessed via a staircase at the rear of the garage, complete with separate lounge area. The low beams and ceilings create a homely feel, with the double bedroom having the advantage of a modern shower room.
Grounds: The property is approached by a long, winding driveway, passing through the paddock and orchard before finishing at the front of the house. To the rear of the house stretch out secluded lawns landscaped with mature trees and two open wildlife ponds perfect for exploring but CHILDREN MUST BE SUPERVISED AT ALL TIMES. Please note that the farm buildings and open barns do not comprise part of the holiday let.
Parking: Ample parking for at least 6 vehicles on the drive and hard-standing next to the barn.
Exploring: East Green is a small hamlet in the parish of Kelsale cum Carlton, just north of Saxmundham. This is classic rural Suffolk with open farmland separated by ditches and hedgerows, quiet, narrow country lanes, great for family walks or leisure cycle rides.
For wildlife enthusiasts, head to RSPB Minsmere. Spreading over several miles, the nature reserve offers visitors the chance to get up close to coastal and wetland habitats. The site frequently hosts events during the year, including pond dipping and bird watching. Guided tours are also available.
Of course, why not learn more about Suffolk?s history with a visit to Framlingham Castle; a truly distinctive landmark which once hosted Mary Tudor. With re-enactments taking place throughout the school holidays as well as audio tours, the castle is a great family day out. The historic coast of Dunwich is only a short drive away from East Green, with its cliffs, sand dunes and miles of endless beach, it is the perfect place for walking or a family picnic.
For the more adventurous, Eastbridge Cycle Hire is only 10 minutes from Red House Farm. Stocking a good selection of mountain bikes for both adults and children, as well as helmets, lights and pumps, what better excuse to go outdoors? Slightly further north is High Lodge Leisure, Hinton. The centre offers courses for all ages including Clay Shooting, Golf, Archery and Fishing. The centre also has the benefit of an on site restaurant for visitors' use.
Self Catering Eating and Drinking: Maple Farm, Kelsale is a farm shop selling freshly grown organic produce including milk, honey, fruit, vegetables, eggs and meat. Just minutes from Red House Farm, children will love seeing the farm animals whilst you stock up on the essentials!
A visit to Emmetts Store in Peasenhall is a must. Listed as one of Rick Stein?s Food Heroes, the shop prides itself on its cured meats and wide selection of wine.
Slightly south is Friday Street Farm Shop, located on the edge of the A12, a working farm stocking a variety of locally grown produce as well as having an on site butcher and cafe.
Eating and Drinking out: The Eels Foot Inn, Eastbridge is one of the closest pubs to East Green. Well known for its good food and hearty portions, the pub is both dog and child friendly, with a large beer garden and children?s play area to the rear. A great starting/finishing or halfway-point for walks around Dunwich Heath.
Equally close is The Bell, Saxmundham. Priding itself on locally sourced produce, the menu changes daily to reflect the fresh ingredients.
After days spent exploring Southwold and Dunwich, stop off at The Westleton Crown. This 12th Century pub is set in one of Suffolk?s prettiest villages.
Mains Restaurant in Yoxford is 3 miles from Red House Farm, set in an old drapers shop with a daily changing menu. The food is frequently described as being of an anglo-french bistro style.
For more information on the local area, check out our sister sites: Visit Southwold, Visit Framlingham and Visit Aldeburgh.
- Sleeps 10
- 5 Bedrooms
- 3 Bathrooms
- 1 well-behaved dog welcome
- WiFi available
- Friday changeover
- Open fire/woodburner
- Bed linen provided
- Towels provided
- Travel cot
- Washing machine
- Tumble dryer
- No smoking
- Detached building
- Nearest shop 0.2 mile
- Nearest pub 4.2 miles
- 7.6 miles from the coast
- Ground floor bedroom
- The guest entrance is via the Old Oak door in the centre of the house. This leads into the hallway with stone tiled floor, coat pegs with bench seat and plenty of room to leaves boots and shoes. The hall gives access to the ground floor bedroom, utility room, wc, kitchen and external door to the rear garden seating area.
- The ground floor bedroom has a zip and link bed which can be made as a king or a twin. Please state at the time of booking. Chair and bedside lamp and views over the rear garden lawns.
- Cloakroom with w.c., washbasin and tiled floor.
- The utility room is spacious and equipped with integral Bosch washing machine, Hotpoint tumble dryer, double butler sink, oak work surfaces, large fridge/freezer and microwave. This room houses the oil-fuelled Carray boiler.
- The focal point of the kitchen is the oil fuelled Aga with two large hot plates and two ovens. The kitchen units are painted grey, shaker style with light oak surfaces, a small butler sink and large walk in pantry, Bosch dishwasher. The kitchen is well equipped for the keen chef with plenty of pots and pans and cooking utensils. A pedestal table and chairs fit neatly by the kitchen window with views over the garden. The open shelves with crockery and storage jars and red quarry tile floor complete the country farmhouse kitchen scene.
- Off the kitchen is the formal dining room with a large dark wood wall unit, table and chairs to seat 10, a collection of interesting antique chairs, wall mounted corner unit and a traditional redbrick fireplace with wood burning stove. The room has views over both the front and rear gardens.
- An inner hallway links the dining room with the study, sitting room and gallery staircase to the first floor, the original main entrance and door to the rear garden.
- Sitting room is light with large windows, high ceilings , French doors to the garden and a fireplace with wood burning stove. A long low sofa, two armchairs and flat screen TV showing Freeview and with DVD player. The feature alcove includes a selection of books for guest to enjoy.
- A spacious master bedroom with king size sleigh bed, bedside tables and lamps, full length mirror and winged armchair. En-suite dressing room and bathroom. The dressing room has a double wardrobe with mirror, and provides plenty of hanging space, a washbasin and a wooden cot.
- A second bedroom with king size sleigh bed, bedside chair and built in wardrobe. This room houses the airing cupboard.
- Third bedroom is suitable for children with bunk beds, chest of drawers and coat pegs for hanging clothes. The low window offers views across the garden and fields beyond.
- Family bathroom has a grand roll top bath, w.c., heated towel rail, contemporary wash stand and mirror.
- Stairs from the garage lead to a spacious Summer Annexe for 2
- A large living area with seating and views across the front and back gardens, leads to
- A double bedroom with double bed, rocking chair and en suite shower room, with shower, wash basin and w.c.
- The Summer Annexe is accessed via the house and through the garage, and is available throughout July, August and September.
- The extensive gardens wrap around the property. To the front of the house is a paddock - now meadow garden with grasses and a natural pond. An orchard area extends around the side of the garage and leads to open lawns with mature trees and shrubs and a second natural pond. The rear garden is south facing and provides a paved area with table and chairs for guests to use. Please note that the ponds are not fenced and YOUNGER CHILDREN SHOULD BE SUPERVISED AT ALL TIMES.
- There are two large barns within the grounds - these are not part of the holiday let and guest are respectfully reminded not to enter these buildings.
- Bed linen and towels are provided - please bring your own beach towels. If using the travel cot please provide your own bed linen for it.
- Oil fired central heating with log burning stoves in the sitting room and the dining room.
- In consideration of other visitors, please do not smoke in the property.
- A broadband / wi fi service is provided. Please note that the connection is very slow and should therefore not be relied on for work and is unsuitable for downloading films.
|Date Range||7 night price *|
|21 Jul 17 - 1 Sep 17||£1,653|
|1 Sep 17 - 29 Sep 17||£1,299|
|29 Sep 17 - 22 Dec 17||£1,137|
|22 Dec 17 - 6 Jan 18||£1,653|
|22 Dec 17 - 6 Jan 18||£1,653|
|6 Jan 18 - 9 Feb 18||£1,171|
|9 Feb 18 - 23 Feb 18||£1,338|
|23 Feb 18 - 23 Mar 18||£1,171|
|23 Mar 18 - 13 Apr 18||£1,703|
|13 Apr 18 - 25 May 18||£1,338|
|1 Jun 18 - 13 Jul 18||£1,703|
|14 Sep 18 - 21 Sep 18||£1,703|
|21 Sep 18 - 19 Oct 18||£1,338|
|19 Oct 18 - 2 Nov 18||£1,703|
|2 Nov 18 - 21 Dec 18||£1,171|
* Please note: The prices displayed are guide prices and do not include optional items such as pet charges.