Old and extremely imposing. Old Hall Barn, Darsham was built in the 16th century as two large adjoining 16th century barns. A Grade II listed property, the barns have been completely restructured to create a large and impressive Big House Holiday home; ideal for a large group of friends or extended family holiday.
WESTLETON 2 miles (3 km), DUNWICH 4 miles (6 km), ALDEBURGH 10 miles (16 km), SOUTHWOLD 12 miles (19 km)
This Big House Holiday Property:
A large double storey glass hall has been added to the front of the barn beyond which is the two storey drawing room with large Inglenook fireplace and log burning stove. The room is overlooked on one side by a spacious minstrels gallery. A pleasant games area with pool and games table leads through to a smaller sitting area with sofas and coal effect wall mounted electric fire and flat screen TV. Beyond this lies the large dining area and the stunning new kitchen. Light, bright, superbly equipped and very spacious this is a wonderful room for cooking and eating. A twin bedroom and shower room, guest cloakroom and utility room make up the ground floor. Two staircases lead up the the 1st floor where there are six double bedrooms and five bathrooms as well as a spacious seating area with far reaching views over the surrounding meadows - perfect for someone to enjoy a quiet read or as a childrens' wet weather retreat - there is a large selection of games, DVDs and videos.
A track leads the quarter mile from the road to Old Hall Barn, which is set in very private grounds of around an acre. French doors lead from the hall and the dining room to the large patio, perfect for al fresco dining. The garden provides entertainment for the whole party and all generations. For the children the large lawned area is perfect for ball games and includes a large trampoline and climbing frame with 3 swings, a slide, ladders, ropes and tree house. To one side of the terrace is the wonderful new hot tub (accommodating up to 8), perfect for an evening dip and a sauna (seating 6 - 8). There are fantastic views over 75 acres of paddocks and meadows around the barn. There is ample parking in the private drive and outside the cart lodge.
There has been a large property on this site since the 12th Century; Darsham means 'home of the deer' and there is strong evidence to suggest that the Old Hall Barn and the Old Hall near by would have hosted deer hunting over many centuries. Red deer can frequently be seen from Old Hall Barn as they roam the fields surrounding it, while barn owls and marsh harrier wheel overhead.
Accessible by road and rail, Darsham Station is just ten minutes walk from the house. On the East Suffolk line, you can get trains direct from London, Ipswich and Norwich.
In the heart of the Suffolk Coast and Heaths Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, Old Hall Barn is close to Suffolk's Heritage coast at Dunwich and the world famous RSPB reserve at Minsmere. Halesworth (great for shopping and browsing) and the famous seaside town of Southwold are both close by, and with Westleton just down the road there are plenty of lovely pubs and restaurants close by. There is a good country pub in the village and an excellent farm shop, Emmerdale Farm, just a couple of minutes walk down the drive.
With its magnificent two storey drawing room, Old Hall Barn makes the ideal property for a gathering of friends, or a family reunion. Child friendly. All bathrooms have been fully upgraded in autumn 2015, the ground floor was totally re-configured in 2017 when the kitchen and ground floor bathroom and cloakroom were completely renewed.
- Sleeps 14
- 7 Bedrooms
- 6 Bathrooms
- Sorry, no pets allowed
- WiFi available
- Friday changeover
- Open fire/woodburner
- Bed linen provided
- Towels provided
- Travel cot
- Hot tub
- Washing machine
- Tumble dryer
- No smoking
- Detached building
- Nearest shop 0.6 mile
- Nearest pub 0.8 mile
- 9.6 miles from the coast
- Ground floor bathroom
- Ground floor bedroom
|Date Range||7 night price *|
|7 Jul 17 - 1 Sep 17||£3,423|
|1 Sep 17 - 29 Sep 17||£3,039|
|29 Sep 17 - 20 Oct 17||£2,754|
|20 Oct 17 - 27 Oct 17||£3,039|
|27 Oct 17 - 22 Dec 17||£2,754|
|22 Dec 17 - 6 Jan 18||£4,026|
|22 Dec 17 - 6 Jan 18||£4,026|
|6 Jan 18 - 9 Feb 18||£2,837|
|9 Feb 18 - 23 Feb 18||£3,037|
|23 Feb 18 - 23 Mar 18||£2,837|
|23 Mar 18 - 13 Apr 18||£3,130|
|13 Apr 18 - 25 May 18||£3,037|
|25 May 18 - 1 Jun 18||£4,147|
|1 Jun 18 - 13 Jul 18||£3,130|
|13 Jul 18 - 20 Jul 18||£3,526|
|20 Jul 18 - 7 Sep 18||£4,147|
|7 Sep 18 - 14 Sep 18||£3,526|
|14 Sep 18 - 21 Sep 18||£3,130|
|21 Sep 18 - 19 Oct 18||£3,037|
|19 Oct 18 - 2 Nov 18||£3,130|
|2 Nov 18 - 21 Dec 18||£2,837|
|21 Dec 18 - 6 Jan 19||£4,147|
* Please note: The prices displayed are guide prices and do not include optional items such as pet charges.
- Glass doors opens into the light and spacious two storey hall where there is a storage area for coats and boots.
- The double height drawing room is lit both from large windows and the glass doors on the ground floor and from windows overlooking the galleried walkway on the first floor. With a large inglenook fireplace and log burning stove, the room is both spacious and cosy. Stripped wooden floors with rugs, sofas, arm chairs and stools, coffee tables and loads of lamps all add to the ambiance. There is a large wall mounted TV showing SKY, a DVD player and a cupboard full of board games, puzzles, CD's and DVD's.
- Beside the large sitting room is a games area with pool table and small dining table with 4 chairs - ideal for puzzles, board games and cards (of which there are many). There is also a bookcase with books.
- A door from the games area leads to the cloakroom with w.c and basin.
- Beyond the games room a corridor leads to a utility room with butler sink, washing machine and tumble dryer, larder style freezer and loads of cupboard space. There are also 2 irons.
- A door from the corridor leads to the ground floor shower room with large corner shower, w.c. and basin.
- Two steps from the corridor lead up to the large, open plan kitchen living area. You first enter a lovely snug with three 2 seater sofas, coffee tables, electric coal effect fire and wall mounted flat screen TV with full SKY package. The dining area has a table seating at least fourteen people comfortably. Beside the newly installed spacious kitchen cooking and dining can now be a family event. The large kitchen at the far end beyond the dining area is a real treat; light, it is fully fitted and very well equipped with double butler sink, American fridge/freezer, triple oven electric range, and additional fitted oven, two dishwashers, microwave, 6 slice toaster, cafetiere, coffee machine and central island with loads of cupboard space and two wine fridges.
- Large ground floor bedroom (accessed via the drawing room), suitable for a couple with some mobility limitations. Two single beds, bedside tables, chest of drawers, small wardrobe, dressing table and stool, full length free-standing mirror and feature fireplace.
- The first floor is divided into two discreet areas, ideal for a friends' get together or two families. Staircases from the ground floor lead to each area
- The staircase from the main entrance leads to the minstrels gallery to one side of this is a small sitting area with sofa, TV and VHS player and videos, Playstation 2 and games and Freesat - great for children to watch films or play computer games or as a quiet reading area for adults where one can sit and admire the countryside
- Bedroom 1 has a king sized bed, dressing table and easy chair, bedside tables and lamps, full length mirror. There is both a walk in dressing room with fan, hairdryer and baby monitor and an en suite shower room with corner shower, w.c., basin, and towel rail
- Bedroom 2 has two single beds, bedside chest of drawers, lamps and wardrobe, full length mirror
- Opposite bedroom 2 is a bathroom with w.c., basin, bath and towel rail.
- Bedroom 3 has a king sized bed, bedside chests and lamps, small chest of drawers, easy chair and walk in dressing room with hairdryer and en suite bathroom with w.c., basin, and bath
- Stairs from the kitchen lead to
- Bedroom 4 which has a king sized bed, bedside tables and lamps, wardrobe with hairdryer, easy chair and an en suite shower room with w.c., shower (there is a step up to the shower) and basin
- There is a further shower room with w.c., wash basin, and shower (step up).
- Bedroom 5 has a king sized bed, bedside tables and lamps, chest of drawers. There is a large fitted cupboard in the hall opposite the room with plenty of hanging space.
- Bedroom 6 has two single beds, bedside table and lamp, chest of drawers and easy chair. There is a large fitted cupboard in the hall outside the room with plenty of hanging space.
- There is a large landscaped garden of just over an acre with spacious terrace with garden table and benches for the whole party, gas barbecue and parasol.
- The lawn beyond is great for ball games and there is a large trampoline and children's climbing frame (suitable for children from 3 - 14) with 3 swings, slide, ladders and tree house.
- Adults are equally well catered for - a large, top of the range, luxury hot tub, the temperature being kept at 37 degrees, for 8 people. With deck and uplighting the hot tub is already proving a firm favourite with visitors. A sauna seating 6 - 8 people.
- Beyond the garden is a cart shed; parking available for 2 cars outside. There is also a good deal of private parking in the drive
- To the west of the house is a private path leading to the road (a short cut to Darsham Station some 10 minutes walk from the house)
- The barn is surrounded by fields, woodland and paddocks.
- In consideration of other visitors, please do not smoke on the property
- Bed linen and towels are provided, but please bring beach towels.
- Oil central heating and lighting etc. are provided
- A Good Housekeeping deposit of £400 is required with the full or final payment. This deposit is refundable as long as the terms of business are met
- Unlimited Wifi provided.
- Looking for a special dinner, a relaxing lunch, a vintage high tea or simply a series of wonderful home made meals delivered to your door. See the Catering options available at your holiday home. Catering arrangements should be made directly with the caterers.
- The Fox Inn - tel. 01728 668436.
- There is a TV, DVD and PS2 console in the children's play area on the 1st floor.
- There is a hairdryer in every double bedroom.
- There is a travel cot, high chair, stair gate, baby monitor and children's cutlery. If using the travel cot please provide your own bedding.
- A short walk from the station that is accessed via a footpath directly opposite by wooden steps.
- This property has Sammy's Seal of Approval for being a family friendly property. On your arrival you will find a welcome postcard from Sammy the Suffolk Seal, a Sammy toy for the children to take on adventures and a picture book, Sammy the Suffolk Seal for children (parents and grandparents) to read during your stay - the perfect introduction to the wonders of this region and the places youngsters and families can visit. If you would like your own copy or Sammy toy to take home with you, they can be purchased at the Suffolk Cottage Holidays shop on 152 High Street in Aldeburgh, IP15 5AQ. Or call Suffolk Cottage Holidays on 01394 389 189 to order a copy by post.
A great pleasure in staying at Mariners Cottage is to leave the snugness and warmth late in the evening, walk the few yards to the Quay and listen to the waves and the curlew cry from Orford Ness.Alison W, Essex - 22nd April 2015
A lovely cottage, well equipped and maintained. We had a superb time in Orford. The Quay, the pub and The General Stores all part of the perfect weekend. A previous customer - 22nd December 2014